a small arthropod animal that has six legs and generally one or two pairs of wings.
• informal any small invertebrate animal, esp. one with several pairs of legs.
Insects are […]
1 relating to, denoting, or preserving the character of an early stage in the evolutionary or historical development of something : primitive mammals | a name corrupted from […]
shorthand |ˈ sh ôrtˌhand|
a method of rapid writing by means of abbreviations and symbols, used esp. for taking dictation.The major systems of shorthand are those devised in 1837 by Sir Isaac Pitman and in […]
1 serving as an instrument or means in pursuing an aim or policy : the society was instrumental in bringing about legislation.
• relating to something’s function as an […]
forming or viewed as a unit apart or by itself : this raises two separate issues | he regards the study of literature as quite separate from life.
• not joined or touching […]
1 a large printed picture used for decoration.
• a large printed picture, notice, or advertisement displayed in a public place : [as adj. ] a poster campaign.
2 Computing someone who […]
entrée |ˈänˌtrā; ˌänˈtrā| (also entree)
the main course of a meal.
• Brit. a dish served between the fish and meat courses at a formal dinner.
ORIGIN early 18th cent. (denoting a piece of instrumental […]